Plein Air Painting Workshops in Italy
Travel Sketching Using Watercolor and Ink
Lisa Snow Lady
September 25–October 1, 2019
Venue: Trevi, Italy- Hotel Antica Dimora alla Rocca
Dates: September 25–October 1, 2019
Instructor: Lisa Snow Lady
(Non-painter in a room with a painting participant: $2100.)
Click to complete Deposit: $500 Non-Refundable Deposit Due Upon Registration.
TO REGISTER: Contact your host Martha Jordan via [email protected] or call (206) 715-6663
“I take my small box of watercolors with me whenever I travel. Soaking up the sights, sounds, and scents of a new environment, I make sketches in watercolor and ink to capture the essence of a place. Rather than portraying scenes exactly as they are, I let my mind fill in the details. Be it city streets, rural areas, gardens, or interiors, sketching forces me to see things in a new and fresh way.”
Lisa Snow Lady
Join Lisa Snow Lady, along with Winslow Art Center and Italy Art Experience owner Martha Jordan, for an unforgettable art adventure in the medieval town of Trevi in Umbria, Italy. Martha Jordan has been organizing painting workshops in Italy for seven years and has established relationships with many of the best hotels and restaurants that Italy has to offer.
Our week in Italy takes us to the beautiful medieval hilltop town of Trevi, situated between Foligno and Spoleto, in the heart of Umbria, Italy. Our accommodation, the 4-star Hotel Antica Dimora alla Rocca, dating back to the 16th Century, is located in the historic center of Trevi. Participants will love the fact that their home base is in a small town center, offering the opportunity to explore the local surroundings.
Our group will rendezvous in Rome on Wednesday, September 25, then travel via private van to our location in Trevi. If you plan to travel to Trevi on your own, you will need to make your own arrangements to arrive on September 25. The workshop ends the morning of October 1 with return by private van to Rome.
- 6 nights at the Hotel Antica Dimora alla Rocca. Prices are based on single occupancy with ensuite bathroom.
- Rountrip travel, Rome/Trevi, by private shuttle
- Welcome aperitif on arrival with Prosecco and bruschetta with local olive oil
- Sumptuous meals at the hotel’s restaurant, La Prepositura- all breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners with wine
(Special dietary restrictions may be accommodated.)
- Art immersion with Lisa Snow Lady
- Day excursion to sketch Asissi
- Day excursion to sketch at Villa Fabri,
- One free day to explore the area on your own
- Guided tour of Trevi
- A gala evening with traditional live music
- Wine and olive oil tasting
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Painting supplies
- Cooking lessons/truffle hunting may be arranged (additional fee)
- Independent meals, independent sight-seeing, personal expenses
- Drinks and wine not specifically included in the trip
Capture the essence of beautiful Italy with quick sketches in ink and watercolor with travel sketch expert Lisa Snow Lady. Lisa has been creating art and travel sketching for more than 20 years. Her passion for travel has led her throughout western Europe, along with the Aegean Coast of Turkey, into Central Mexico, and to coastal California. Filling journals with watercolor sketches of Islamic mosques, colorful domes, and red-tiled roofs mingling with palms, she creates visual remembrances of the journey. Lisa recently returned from her latest travel sketching adventure in Ireland.
Using simple, quick techniques and portable materials, you will be guided in an intuitive approach to sketching with pen, layering watercolor washes, and gathering tips that will guide you during your adventure.
Your week of sketching in watercolor and ink will include a variety of sketching experiences and an exploration of different styles. The first day we will take it slow to warm up, discussing using ink to capture shapes and forms. Lessons will include simplifying subject matter, simple perspective drawing, and introducing color. All skill levels are welcome.
Our subject matter will be endless and will include:
- Small scenes of architectural details and features
- Domes, cathedrals, and churches
- Civic historic buildings
- Nature, including botanical gardens, vineyards, olive groves, close up views of flowers, views of fields, hillsides, landscape, and open spaces
- Street Scenes, allies, and courtyards
- Sculpture, statuary, and fountains
- Sketching people
A Typical Workshop Day
- Breakfast: 8:00am – 9:30am, buffet breakfast
- Morning Session: 9:30 – 12:30, work on location in Trevi or surrounding areas
- Lunch and Break: 1:00pm – 2:45pm
- Afternoon Session: 3:00pm – 6:00pm, continue sketching
- Aperitivo Hour: 6:30 pm, enjoy a glass of wine or Prosecco and share ideas about the day’s painting
- Dinner: 7:30 pm
About Lisa Snow Lady
Seattle painter and art instructor Lisa Snow Lady received a BFA in Painting and Art History from the University of Washington, and a degree in Ornamental Horticulture from Edmonds Community College. She has been sketching and painting for over 20 years.
A member of Urban Sketchers, Lisa teaches botanical sketching at the Volunteer Park Conservatory and through the University of Washington Botanic Center and loves to encourage students of all artistic levels.